Electronic transfers

So you can change car owners without getting lost in the process.

There are several reasons for changing the owner of a car: a sale, an inheritance… The procedure is simple, but if you don’t, it can cost you a penalty.

You have surely heard a friend / neighbor / brother-in-law tell about the odyssey of a driver who after selling his car received fines from the new owner. Or conversely, that the current owner suddenly finds out about old sanctions or current affairs.

To avoid these problems, which sometimes turn into real nightmares, you have to start with a leaden foot. If you don’t know the seller, it is best to ask for a traffic report before closing the purchase and always make a change of ownership before you start to operate as if the car is your own.

The change of ownership, also called transferIt is nothing more than the procedure that certifies the process of buying and selling a vehicle and ensures that the new owner acquires both rights and responsibilities over the car.

Unfortunately, traveling in Spain using public transport is usually not cheap. Prices suffer from the lack of competition and we are used to having a more or less stable cost which is usually not a bargain. To this must be added that some connections are very complicated or even impossible.

Before closing the purchase of a used car …

First of all when you go to buy a used vehicle, already registered, with a private individual, is to check that all the documents are in order then to fill out a standard purchase-sale contract (you can find them and print them online).

You will need to have the Driving license, the Vehicle technical control card and the payment receipt from municipal road tax. You will also need to settle accounts with the tax authorities.

Once you have all the aforementioned documents duly completed and signed by both parties, you must pay the property transfer tax (Model 620 or 621, as the case may be) before the tax administration of your Autonomous Community, which can be done electronically.

This tax is approximately four percent of the current value of the vehicle. Once you have gone to settle your accounts with the tax authorities, you will receive an electronic transfer code (CET) which will be used to prove that you have met your tax obligation.

Once you purchase the vehicle, a maximum of 30 days to complete the change in ownership of the vehicle. To be transferred, this must be administratively registered and meet the following requirements:

Having paid the road tax of the previous one. Having paid any penalties pronounced Free from any limitation of disposition (retention of title) Free from embargoes and seals

Where does the change of owner of a vehicle take place?

With the purchase-sale contract, the request for a change of owner and proof of payment of the property transfer tax, it is time to proceed with the change of owner.

Transferring a car is a process that, in person, takes place at any provincial traffic headquarters. Remember that you need to make an appointment and that to carry out the procedure you will need the signature of the other interested party (buyer or seller in each case). In addition, you must bring:

Completed vehicle owner change request form. Supplemented fees of € 53.40 (€ 26.70 for mopeds) Spanish identity document, residence card, passport or driving license of the buyer (original) and the seller. Vehicle registration certificate. Proof of payment of the property transfer tax in the autonomous community where you reside.

Changing ownership of a car this can also be done online. Like other administrative procedures, you will need an electronic certificate it proves your identity.

Currently in Spain, these certificates can be obtained with the electronic DNI issued by the General Directorate of Police or through the digital certificate issued by the National Coin and Stamp Factory.

Once the certificate is in your possession, you can carry out the procedure from home, without delay and 24 hours a day, by guiding you in the “Procedures” section of the DGT website.

Finally, inform the seller

Once the name change has been successfully completed, you must notify the former owner of the name by sending them a copy of the new registration certificate with the name already changed. This must be done within 15 days of the name change.

If you have sold it and you do not receive this document within the specified time, you must notify Traffic that you have sold the vehicle through the vehicle sale notification. This way you will avoid problems in the future. Simple but essential steps.

When the change of owner is due to death

After the death of the vehicle owner, there can be two cases:

1. That there is no named heir.

In this case, the person responsible for provisional or final custody must notify the Traffic Directorate of his legal address, within 90 days. The documentation to present to effect the change of ownership is as follows:

Identity change request form. Payment of costs (53.40 euros, excluding mopeds 26.70 euros) Identity documents. Death certificate of the holder or family record book in which the death is recorded. Document proving possession of the vehicle. Driver’s license or license. ITV card or vehicle technical sheet. In addition, the applicant must pay the corresponding fee.

The circulation will carry the following entry in the vehicle register and on the driving license or driving license: “In power, until the hereditary award of … (name and first name of the holder)”.

The new provisional holder will be considered as being the subject of all the obligations which correspond to the owner of the vehicle.

2. That there is an heir; in this case a final transmission is made

The owner of the vehicle You must request the final transmission of the vehicle within the following 90 days from the date indicated in the document which accredits it as such recipient.

In addition, you must submit to the traffic headquarters the same documents as an ordinary change of ownership, but with two additional requirements: the settlement or exemption from inheritance and gift tax, and the declaration of heirs. , or will, accompanied by a certificate of last will. , or a score book mentioning the allocation of the vehicle.

Other exceptional cases

In addition to death, there are also the following exceptional cases for the transfer of a vehicle.

These can be:

Transfers involving a sale or a buyer or seller with guardianship Separation, divorce or breakdown Vehicle donations Historic vehicles Vehicles with several owners (co-owners) Auction in a vehicle auction

In these cases, if you are an individual, you can complete the process both in person and online, but for legal entities it can only be done electronically.

This is done via the AGE’s common electronic register, accessible from the “Change of ownership – Exceptional cases” icon.

This article was published in Autobild by Noelia López.